Canadian hockey players acquitted of sexual assault after judge finds lack of substantial evidence

Five members of the 2018 Team Canada World Juniors team were acquitted in a sexual assault case after a judge said there was not substantial evidence.


Canadian hockey players acquitted of sexual assault after judge finds lack of substantial evidence
1.4 k views

The players, now between the ages of 25 and 27, were in London at the time for a gala and golf tournament marking their World Juniors championship earlier that year.

Superior Court Justice Maria Carroccia said she did not find the complainant's testimony credible.

The victim met the players at a bar in downtown London after a Hockey Canada event June 18, 2018. The victim was later invited to a hotel room where she was allegedly sexually assaulted. 

The woman testified in May that she was naked, drunk and scared when four of the men showed up unexpectedly in her room at the Delta Hotel London Armouries and felt the only "safe" option was to do what they wanted. Prosecutors argued the players did what they wanted without taking steps to ensure she was voluntarily consenting to sexual acts.

"I made the choice to dance with them and drink at the bar. I did not make the choice to have them do what they did back at the hotel," she testified.

Defense attorneys cross-examined her for days and suggested she actively participated in or initiated sexual activity because she wanted a "wild night." Two short videos of the complainant taken by McLeod the night of the encounter were played in court. In one, the woman says it was "all consensual," though she told the court that wasn't how she truly felt.

The NHL launched its own investigation in 2022. Officials pledged to release the findings, though Commissioner Gary Bettman said in February that would depend on what the league can say given legal proceedings.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

you may also like

Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities
  • by travelandtourworld
  • descember 09, 2016
Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities

Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is one of the busiest airports in the United States. Travel issues have bogged down Logan Airport today. There are currently 259 delays and 4 cancellations. Delays and cancellations are affecting travelers in the city, and the surrounding community, even international travelers. Business and leisure travelers are frustrated and confused with the delays and cancellations. Airport staff have been criticized for the operational issues and they have been working to fix the airport as quickly as they can.

read more