DOJ's 'excessive' treatment of Jan. 6 rioters 'undermined' the prosecution, Turley says after pardons

Constitutional law attorney called out the Justice Department's "shock and awe" campaign against the rioters after President Trump pardoned most of the defendants Monday night.


DOJ's 'excessive' treatment of Jan. 6 rioters 'undermined' the prosecution, Turley says after pardons
1.1 k views

JONATHAN TURLEY: Well, the Department of Justice really made the case for these pardons, and it was hard to do because most of us supported the people responsible for the riot being held accountable, it was a terrible day. But the Justice Department unleashed what one of its top lawyers called a 'shock and awe' campaign, and they just scooped up hundreds of people. They often demanded really excessive sentences, in my view. Most of these people were charged with just trespass or unlawful entry. Most of them were not violent. The government tended to oppose bail, they kept a number of them for a very long time in segregation. In some cases, they demanded limitations on what people could say or read or associate after they were released. All of this tended to undermine their case. So when when the president campaigned on this issue, I think a lot of people wanted to see this chapter closed and he certainly did that. I mean, this was broader than most people expected or even asked for. 

"Tonight I'm going to be signing on the J6 hostages, pardons to get them out," Trump said at the parade at Capital One Arena in Washington. "I'm going to the Oval Office and we'll be signing pardons for a lot of people."

The Justice Department reported that approximately 140 police officers were assaulted during the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. That included law enforcement members from both the U.S. Capitol Police and about 60 from the Metropolitan Police Department.

So far, judges or a jury after a trial have convicted roughly 250 people who faced charges for their involvement in the riot, and more than 1,000 had pleaded guilty to crimes as of January.

Fox News' Diana Stancy contributed to this report.

you may also like

Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities
  • by travelandtourworld
  • descember 09, 2016
Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities

Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is one of the busiest airports in the United States. Travel issues have bogged down Logan Airport today. There are currently 259 delays and 4 cancellations. Delays and cancellations are affecting travelers in the city, and the surrounding community, even international travelers. Business and leisure travelers are frustrated and confused with the delays and cancellations. Airport staff have been criticized for the operational issues and they have been working to fix the airport as quickly as they can.

read more