Former Des Moines Schools superintendent taken into DOJ custody on federal firearms, immigration charges

Ian Roberts, who resigned as Des Moines Public Schools superintendent, was charged by federal prosecutors with illegal firearm possession while in the country illegally.


Former Des Moines Schools superintendent taken into DOJ custody on federal firearms, immigration charges
1.4 k views

Ian Roberts, who led Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS), was no longer in the custody of the Woodbury County Jail in Sioux City, about 150 miles northwest of Des Moines, Sheriff Chad Sheehan said.

Roberts was taken into federal custody on an arrest warrant and made his first court appearance, the Justice Department said. He is charged with being unlawfully present in the United States while possessing firearms.

Federal prosecutors said Roberts, 54, was found with four firearms on Sept. 26 while living in the country illegally. He will remain detained in federal custody pending further proceedings.

"We have no comment at this time," Roberts' attorney, Alfredo Parrish, said.

Authorities said the firearms were found in a vehicle and at Roberts' home.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the DOJ. The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Iowa told Fox News it had "no public information to provide at this time."

Roberts is fighting a deportation order to his native Guyana. Earlier this week, Parrish said Roberts believed, based on advice from a prior attorney in Texas, that his immigration case had been "resolved successfully."

However, a DOJ criminal complaint said the attorney had only conveyed that the case was being closed in her office, not that it had been completed.

Hours later, the school board accepted his resignation.

Meanwhile, the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division announced Tuesday it would investigate whether the district engaged in racial discrimination by favoring minority applicants.

you may also like

Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities
  • by travelandtourworld
  • descember 09, 2016
Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities

Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is one of the busiest airports in the United States. Travel issues have bogged down Logan Airport today. There are currently 259 delays and 4 cancellations. Delays and cancellations are affecting travelers in the city, and the surrounding community, even international travelers. Business and leisure travelers are frustrated and confused with the delays and cancellations. Airport staff have been criticized for the operational issues and they have been working to fix the airport as quickly as they can.

read more