Sunday, 29 Jan 2023

Harry Dunns family horrified US driver told not to go to sentencing

Harry Dunns family horrified US driver told not to go to sentencing


Harry Dunns family horrified US driver told not to go to sentencing

The family of Harry Dunn have said they are "horrified" after learning the US government has advised their son's killer, Anne Sacoolas, not to attend her sentencing hearing in person.

In October, Sacoolas pleaded guilty to causing the death of the 19-year-old British teenager by careless driving, and is due to be sentenced on Thursday.

The sentencing judge, Ms Justice Cheema-Grubb, previously urged the 45-year-old to return to Britain to face justice but a court spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday a renewed application for her to appear via video link had been granted.

"The application made jointly by the prosecution and defence for Mrs Sacoolas to participate and be sentenced by live link, has been renewed," the spokesperson said.

"The defence have supplied material in support of the application including evidence that Mrs Sacoolas' government employer has advised her not to attend in person. The judge has granted the application."

Radd Seiger, an adviser and spokesperson for the family of Harry Dunn, said: "We are horrified to learn that the United States government is now actively interfering in our criminal justice system.

"Their ongoing cruel treatment of Harry's parents is nothing short of inhumane and it continues to take a heavy toll on their mental health."

you may also like