Wagner chief rejects Russian Defense Ministry efforts to rein in his force


Wagner chief rejects Russian Defense Ministry efforts to rein in his force
1.1 k views

The boss of the Russian private military company Wagner says he won't sign contracts with Russia's Defense Ministry, rejecting an attempt to bring his force in line.

Yevgeny Prigozhin's comments follow an announcement by the Russian Ministry of Defense Saturday that "volunteer units" and private military groups would be required to sign a contract with the ministry.

The order - signed by Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu - said the move would "give the voluntary formations the necessary legal status," and create "unified approaches" to their work.

The order did not name the Wagner group but the move is seen a way of controlling the influential military force.

Prigozhin - who has publicly feuded with defense chiefs - said the move did not apply to Wagner.

"The orders and decrees issued by (Defense Minister Sergei) Shoigu apply to employees of the Ministry of Defense and military personnel. PMC 'Wagner' will not sign any contracts with Shoigu," Prigozhin said in a Telegram post.

Wagner, he said, would "absolutely" pursue the "the interests of the Russian Federation and the Supreme Commander-in-Chief."

Prigozhin and Wagner have played a prominent role in the Ukraine war. In May he said his troops had capture Bakhmut in a costly and largely symbolic gain for Russia.

The Wagner chief has previously criticized Russia's traditional military hierarchy, blaming Russian defense chiefs for "tens of thousands" of casualties and stating that divisions could end in a "revolution."

He also accused Russian military leaders "sit like fat cats" in "luxury offices," while his fighters are "dying," and later accused the Russian Defense Ministry of trying to sabotage his troops' withdrawal from Bakhmut, claiming the ministry laid mines along the exit routes.

you may also like

Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities
  • by travelandtourworld
  • descember 09, 2016
Travel Chaos as American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United Faces 259 Delays and 4 Cancellations to New York, Chicago, London and Major US Cities

Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is one of the busiest airports in the United States. Travel issues have bogged down Logan Airport today. There are currently 259 delays and 4 cancellations. Delays and cancellations are affecting travelers in the city, and the surrounding community, even international travelers. Business and leisure travelers are frustrated and confused with the delays and cancellations. Airport staff have been criticized for the operational issues and they have been working to fix the airport as quickly as they can.

read more